Friday 4 July 2008

Goodbye Lenin (out of the wilderness into the wild)

A long day today and I'm too tired to write this really, but in the spirit of our journalistic responsibilities, we'll give it a go.

Leonid met us at 10 and we started the drive out of st petes. Tram lines and crazy traffic and we were on the M10 towards ivangorod and the estonian border. The roads were great for a while, better than we get at home but quickly degenerated as we left st petes in to a melee of transversal cracks. I got bored driving slow and decided the best way to get over the potholes was to stand up and nail it.

The border crossing took a good 4 hours. Strangely, getting out of Russia was a doddle but getting in to Estonia took ages. One redemptions was the friendly border guards in estonia.

We then had a pretty boring schep to parnu on the coast. We didn't get here until nearly midnight. One of the symptoms of my approach to the russian potholes is that I have buckled my rear wheel. We had it off and tightened some spokes. Got to use the toolkit at least. I think it may have done some good cos its a bit better. I hope it holds out.

We were all pretty tired when we got here and due to the employment of an emergent planning strategy we had nowhere to stay. Luckily the first person I asked knew of a biker bar with a campsite. Its all a bit surreal, its like a small village with little cabins with Finnish choppers parked outside.

Mike managed this time to have a friendly conversation with a Finnish guy and got in o a converstion about football - riveting! Anyway don't know what we're doing tomorrow. Night night.

Simon, Will and Mike

Ps. Estonia is flat and has straight roads. According to Will and Mike there was a massive castle that was interesting. I completely failed to see it though. I think I might be travelling around the world looking at my gps screen.

Pps. Mike thinks that driving through estonia is duller than the M6, we'll report tomorrow on whether this opinion persists.

Ppps. Simon loves his bike cos its broken and it still works!
Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

No comments: